ABOUT THE Free Walking Tour: Vienna 1900
This tour is operated by our partner Prime Tours Vienna
On this 2-hour free tour you’ll discover Vienna’s heyday of art and intellectual life during the first half of the 20th century and learn how these heady days of creative output descended into enthusiastic support for Hitler’s regime in the city of his youth, before being reinvented into the exciting crossover of the old and the new that is Vienna today.
The Free Walking Tour: Vienna 1900 starts at Helmut Zilk-Platz and ends at Karlsplatz.
The Vienna Secession
At the turn of the last century, Vienna was home to one of the most exciting art movements in Europe at the time, the Vienna Secession, which helped shape not only modern painting and sculpture but also some of Vienna’s most striking architecture. Join your local guide to see iconic buildings by Otto Wagner and to hear about artists like Egon Schiele and Gustav Klimt and their works from this time, as well as their ongoing legacy today. See the Academy of Fine Arts, which famously rejected Hitler’s application twice, perhaps sparking his opinion about what he called “degenerate art” and leaving him disillusioned with the artistic establishment.
Vienna’s role as a major player in the arts continues to this day and the art scene in the city today is thriving, with the once-traditional Karlsplatz becoming a centre for outdoor exhibitions and cultural events and the nearby Museumsquartier, or MQ, being one of the most exciting and diverse arts complexes in the world today. Explore these with your guide and hear about modern urban culture in Vienna before heading to the Naschmarkt, Vienna’s historic food market, now a trendy meeting place for visitors and Viennese alike to sip an aperitif or sample some of the city’s gastronomic offerings!
Discover the top sites in Vienna with these tours offered by our partners, Prime Tours Vienna. While you may not see the famous SANDEMANs red umbrellas (look instead for the yellow Prime Tours umbrellas), we only work with partners we know, trust, and who have been vetted by us to ensure they meet the same standards you are used to enjoying in SANDEMANs’ own cities. We are proud to partner with Prime Tours Vienna and are sure you’ll love their tours as much as we do!Read more
Meet your guide at Helmut Zilk-Platz, look out for the yellow umbrella!
- Hear about the history and legacy of the artists of the Vienna Secession, one of the most important art movements of the 20th Century
- Imagine yourself wandering through turn-of-the-century Vienna, with its coffee shops full of intellectuals discussing philosophy and creatives arguing about developments in art
- See the Academy of Fine Arts, the site of Hitlers failed artistic dreams
- Explore the funky Karlsplatz and the exciting cultural centre of the Museumsquartier
- Wander through the Naschmarkt food market and enjoy the offerings of the many vendors and market stands
- Learn about Vienna's fascinating cultural journey through the 20th Century up until today
Prime Tours is our vetted partner in Vienna - AustriaRead more
- Local English-speaking licenced guide
- Gratuities for the guide (optional)
- This activity is operated by our partner Prime Tours Vienna. This experience is not provided by SANDEMANs, but has been chosen by our specialists from an array of offers based on their quality and value
- Please arrive at the meeting point 10 minutes before the tour starts
What is the SANDEMANs Partner Network?
Tours in Vienna are offered by a partner, not SANDEMANs NEW Europe.
We only work with partners we know, trust, and who have been vetted by us to ensure they meet the same standards you are used to enjoying in SANDEMANs’ own cities.
We are proud to partner with Prime Tours Vienna and are sure you’ll love their tours as much as we do.
Book a tour with one of our partners
- SANDEMANs only works with partners that meet the same quality standards than us
- Tours are chosen by our specialists from an array of offers based on their quality and value
- We connect the best local guides with travelers from all around the world