ABOUT THE Free Tour of Vienna
This tour is operated by our partner Prime Tours Vienna
On this 2-hour free tour you’ll explore the old town of Vienna and discover the stunning highlights of this iconic city. Join your local, licensed guide as they lead you on a cultural and historical journey through the heart of the city and share the fascinating stories that make Vienna unique.
The Free Tour of Vienna starts at Helmut Zilk-Platz and ends near St. Stephen's Cathedral.
The Heart of the Habsburg Empire
As the residence of the Habsburg dynasty from the 15th century onwards, royal palaces and gardens are in abundance in Vienna. Admire the beauty of the Albertina before strolling through the delightful Burggarten, the palace gardens that lead to the Hofburg, the imperial residence of the Habsburgs. Hear about this extraordinary family and their legacy as you wander with your guide through squares and courtyards surrounding the palace complex, and learn about the final resting place of many of the family at the Kaisergruft, or Imperial Crypt.
Mozart, Strauss and Beethoven
Vienna’s list of musical residents is a long and impressive one. It was in Vienna that Mozart and Beethoven spent some of their most productive years, and the melodies of Strauss’s Vienna waltzes will be familiar to every visitor to the city. Marvel at the beautiful, world-famous Vienna State Opera and imagine waltzing to the Blue Danube at the annual Opera Ball, before making a compulsory stop outside the Mozart House. Wrap up the tour near the magnificent St. Stephen’s cathedral - maybe you’ll hear the belfry bells that famously, Beethoven could not!
Discover the top sites in Vienna with these tours offered by our partners, Prime Tours Vienna. While you may not see the famous SANDEMANs red umbrellas (look instead for the yellow Prime Tours umbrellas), we only work with partners we know, trust, and who have been vetted by us to ensure they meet the same standards you are used to enjoying in SANDEMANs’ own cities. We are proud to partner with Prime Tours Vienna and are sure you’ll love their tours as much as we do!Read more
The Free Tour of Vienna starts at Helmut Zilk-Platz
- Stroll through the delightful palace garden, admiring the statues and graceful landscaping
- Stand on the imposing Heldenplatz, where Hitler famously announced the Anschluss of Austria in 1938, and admire the sweeping facade of the Hofburg palace
- Explore the courtyards, squares and streets of the palace district and hear about the statues, monuments and memorials in the area
- Wander along the bustling Graben, one of the most famous streets in Vienna, filled with shops, cafés and fountains and flanked by magnificent Viennese architecture
- Marvel at the incredible tiled mosaic roof of the elegant and impressive St. Stephen’s Cathedral
- Drop by Mozart’s residence, where he wrote his famous opera, The Marriage of Figaro
- Hum a waltz outside the Vienna State Opera and soak up the musical atmosphere of this cultural gem!
This tour doesn‘t run today
Prime Tours is our vetted partner in Vienna - AustriaRead more
- Local English-speaking licenced guide
- Gratuities for the guide (optional)
- This activity is operated by our partner Prime Tours Vienna. This experience is not provided by SANDEMANs, but has been chosen by our specialists from an array of offers based on their quality and value
- Please arrive at the meeting point 10 minutes before the tour starts
What is the SANDEMANs Partner Network?
Tours in Vienna are offered by a partner, not SANDEMANs NEW Europe.
We only work with partners we know, trust, and who have been vetted by us to ensure they meet the same standards you are used to enjoying in SANDEMANs’ own cities.
We are proud to partner with Prime Tours Vienna and are sure you’ll love their tours as much as we do.
Book a tour with one of our partners
- SANDEMANs only works with partners that meet the same quality standards than us
- Tours are chosen by our specialists from an array of offers based on their quality and value
- We connect the best local guides with travelers from all around the world