ABOUT THE Rome by Night Free Tour
The Rome by Night Free Tour is operated by New Rome Free Tour
On this 2-hour free walking tour, you’ll experience the beauty of Rome in a different light as you wander the nighttime streets with your expert local guide and soak up the atmosphere of the Eternal City after dark. When daylight starts to fade, your guide will show you the authentic heart of Rome as the crowds thin, the locals come out and the monuments are displayed at their best, lit up for the night.
The Rome by Night Free Tour starts on the Piazza del Quirinale, at the bottom of the obelisk and ends near the Colosseum.
Rome is wonderful at all hours but Rome at dusk and by night is magical. Piazza del Quirinale, perched atop Quirinal Hill, dominated by luxury baroque palaces and home to the official residence of the Italian President, looks particularly impressive when bathed in evening light. The Trevi Fountain, crowded with tourists during the day, comes into its own at night with warm lights accentuating the beauty of its sculptures and fewer people to stand in the way of your photos!
Lights, views and wine
The view over the Forum from the Campidoglio is one of the most spectacular in Rome, and seeing it lit up at night is even more awe-inspiring. The Piazza del Campidoglio itself, designed by Michaelangelo, is simply stunning in the evening and the view of the lit-up Colosseum is a sight absolutely not to be missed. After taking it all in, stroll past the Theatre of Marcellus and through the mediaeval Jewish quarter to the lively Campo de Fiori, where your guide can point you in the right direction towards a classic “enoteca”, or wine bar, to enjoy a glass or two of Chianti or Frascati before heading out for a long, lazy Roman dinner. Perfection!
Tours in Rome are offered by our partners, New Rome Free Tour. While you may not see the famous SANDEMANs red umbrellas (look instead for the New Rome Free Tour signs), we only work with partners we know, trust, and who have been vetted by us to ensure they meet the same standards you are used to enjoying in SANDEMANs’ own cities. We are proud to partner with New Rome Free Tour and are sure you’ll love their tours as much as we do!Read more
The Rome by Night Free Tour starts on the Piazza del Quirinale, at the bottom of the obelisk
- Admire the baroque palaces surrounding the Piazza del Quirinale, one of the 7 hills of Rome and the location of the residence of the Italian President
- Make the most of the opportunity to have the Trevi Fountain almost to yourself and enjoy the romance of the square by night
- See the facade of the Pantheon in a different light, as this ancient temple sits peacefully closed without the crowds
- See the Vittoriana in all its pompous glory, its magnificent facade brought to life by the stunning light effects
- Catch a breathtaking night view of the Roman Forum and the Colosseum from the stunning Campidoglio
- Soak up the atmosphere of Rome’s buzzing evening streets and squares and find the perfect place to end the day near the gorgeous Campo de Fiori
This tour doesn‘t run today
New Rome Free Tour Tale is our vetted partner in Rome - ItalyRead more
- Local English-speaking licenced guide
- Gratuities for the guide (optional)
- This activity is operated by our partner New Rome Free Tour. This experience is not provided by SANDEMANs, but has been chosen by our specialists from an array of offers based on their quality and value
- Please arrive at the meeting point 10 minutes before the tour starts
What is the SANDEMANs Partner Network?
Tours in Rome are offered by a partner, not SANDEMANs NEW Europe.
We only work with partners we know, trust, and who have been vetted by us to ensure they meet the same standards you are used to enjoying in SANDEMANs’ own cities.
We are proud to partner with New Rome Free Tour and are sure you’ll love their tours as much as we do.
Book a tour with one of our partners
- SANDEMANs only works with partners that meet the same quality standards than us
- Tours are chosen by our specialists from an array of offers based on their quality and value
- We connect the best local guides with travelers from all around the world