ABOUT THE Ancient Rome Free Tour
The Ancient Rome Free Tour is operated by New Rome Free Tour
On this 2.5-hour free tour you’ll journey back in time to discover the fascinating history of the Roman Republic and Imperial Rome, seeing some of the world’s most important Roman remains and monuments dating back millennia with your local, expert guide. Follow in the footsteps of emperors to the Roman Forum, the Palatine Hill, the Colosseum and more.
The Ancient Rome Free Tour starts at the bottom of Trajan’s Column, under the pine trees, and ends near the Colosseum.
Rome - Capital of the World
During the centuries when Rome was Caput Mundi (capital of the world), the Forum Romanum was the Roman Empire’s political, social and commercial heart. Senators, slaves and commoners alike crossed paths in this bustling city centre, visiting the district’s courthouses, temples, government offices and shops. The first site dates to around 600 B.C., but was enlarged by Julius Caesar, Augustus Caesar, Domitian, and Trajan. During this free tour of Rome you will visit this huge (and hugely significant!) archeological area as well as one of the largest theatres built in Ancient Rome.
Gladiators and Emperors
After hearing about the lasting influence of Roman Emperors such as Trajan and Caesar, and heading via the Piazza Venezia to the Theatre of Marcellus, the largest and most important theatre in ancient Rome, climb to the top of the Capitoline Hill and take in the breathtaking view over the Forum. Finish the tour outside the world’s most recognisable symbol of Ancient Rome, site of Roman mass entertainment such as gladiatorial contests and dramatic public spectacles, the Colosseum.
Tours in Rome are offered by our partners, New Rome Free Tour. While you may not see the famous SANDEMANs red umbrellas (look instead for the New Rome Free Tour signs), we only work with partners we know, trust, and who have been vetted by us to ensure they meet the same standards you are used to enjoying in SANDEMANs’ own cities. We are proud to partner with New Rome Free Tour and are sure you’ll love their tours as much as we do!Read more
The Ancient Rome Free Tour starts at the bottom of Trajan’s Column, under the pine trees
- Hear about dramatic Roman wars and the triumphal victory commemorated by Trajan’s Column
- Take in the grandiose Piazza Venezia with the imposing Victor Emmanuel II Monument, commemorating the unification of Italy
- Admire the ancient Theatre of Marcellus and see the entrance to the Roman Ghetto, home to the Jewish population of the city for over 300 years
- Get a stunning view over the Forum complex from Capitoline Hill, one of the 7 hills of Ancient Rome
- See the Piazza di Campidoglio, designed by Renaissance master Michaelangelo
- Step back in time as you explore the incredible archaeological remains of the various Roman and Imperial Fora and Palatine Hill
- Marvel at the incredible structure of the Colosseum (from the outside) and hear about the spectacles that took place
New Rome Free Tour Tale is our vetted partner in Rome - ItalyRead more
- Local English-speaking licenced guide
- Gratuities for the guide (optional)
- This activity is operated by our partner New Rome Free Tour. This experience is not provided by SANDEMANs, but has been chosen by our specialists from an array of offers based on their quality and value
- Please arrive at the meeting point 10 minutes before the tour starts
What is the SANDEMANs Partner Network?
Tours in Rome are offered by a partner, not SANDEMANs NEW Europe.
We only work with partners we know, trust, and who have been vetted by us to ensure they meet the same standards you are used to enjoying in SANDEMANs’ own cities.
We are proud to partner with New Rome Free Tour and are sure you’ll love their tours as much as we do.
Book a tour with one of our partners
- SANDEMANs only works with partners that meet the same quality standards than us
- Tours are chosen by our specialists from an array of offers based on their quality and value
- We connect the best local guides with travelers from all around the world
WALKING TOURS & ACTIVITIES IN ROME
Rome City Centre Free Tour
Explore some of Rome’s most beautiful sights on this 2-hour free walking tour
Rome by Night Free Tour
Experience the beauty of Rome in a different light and soak up the atmosphere of the Eternal City af ...