ABOUT THE Rome City Centre Free Tour
The Rome City Centre Free Tour is operated by New Rome Free Tour
On this 2-hour free walking tour, you’ll discover the magic of Rome’s bustling streets, sweeping squares and baroque fountains, with architecture dating from the Roman Empire, through the Renaissance and beyond. Your fully-licensed, expert local guide will show you Rome’s most beautiful sights, such as the awe-inspiring Pantheon and the iconic, romantic Trevi Fountain - with much more in between!
The Rome City Centre Free Tour starts on the Piazza di Spagna, at the bottom of the Spanish Steps, and ends at the Trevi Fountain.
The Eternal City
While the ancient Rome of Caesars and gladiators may be the city’s initial drawcard, Rome’s Renaissance and Baroque makeovers have left an equally indelible mark on the city’s iconic streets and squares. From the elegant beauty of the magnificent Spanish Steps, to Bernini’s famous fountains on the picturesque Piazza Navona, you’ll see that the “Eternal City” is deserving of its name. Stroll along Rome’s fashion boulevards, the Via Condotti and Vie del Corso, window-shopping the exclusive boutiques as your guide leads you to more of Rome’s must-sees!
Domes, Frescoes and a return to Rome
As the epicentre of the Roman Catholic faith, it’s unsurprising that Rome has some of the world’s most significant churches to be discovered. Marvel at the Pantheon, the striking, circular Roman temple that has been a Catholic church for over 600 years and visit the Church of Saint Ignatius with Andrea Pozzo’s incredible trompe-l’oeil ceiling frescoes. Let your local guide give away the best tips for enjoying Rome’s culinary delights of pizza, gelato and tiramisu before heading to the famous Trevi Fountain to end the tour, not forgetting to throw a coin and make your wish to return to Rome!
Tours in Rome are offered by our partners, New Rome Free Tour. While you may not see the famous SANDEMANs red umbrellas (look instead for the New Rome Free Tour signs), we only work with partners we know, trust, and who have been vetted by us to ensure they meet the same standards you are used to enjoying in SANDEMANs’ own cities. We are proud to partner with New Rome Free Tour and are sure you’ll love their tours as much as we do!Read more
The Rome City Centre Free Tour starts on the Piazza di Spagna, at the bottom of the Spanish Steps
- Climb the graceful curve of the iconic Spanish Steps to the late-Renaissance church of Trinità dei Monti
- Stroll along the boulevards of Via Del Corso and Via Condotti, home to designer boutiques and the centre of Rome’s fashion district
- Learn about the Knights of Malta at Palazzo Malta and admire the intricate relief carvings on the Column of Marcus Aurelius on Piazza Colonna
- Wander across the sweeping Piazza Navona and delight in the beautiful fountains by the famous sculptor Bernini, whose artistic influence can be seen all over Rome
- Take in the Pantheon, one of the best preserved examples of a Roman temple, repurposed as a Catholic Church with its impressive and striking circular construction
- Let your eyes deceive you while admiring the extremely clever trompe-l'oeil frescoes and dome painting in the St. Ignatius church - Andrea Pozzo’s work is one of the finest examples of this type of perspective artwork in the world
- See centuries of history intersect at the Temple of Hadrian, its remains incorporated into 17th and 19th century structures
- Get tips on where to find the best gelato, pizza and tiramisu
- Soak up the atmosphere at the romantic Trevi Fountain - throw a coin and make a wish so that you return to Rome!
This tour doesn‘t run today
New Rome Free Tour Tale is our vetted partner in Rome - ItalyRead more
- Local English-speaking licenced guide
- Gratuities for the guide (optional)
- This activity is operated by our partner New Rome Free Tour. This experience is not provided by SANDEMANs, but has been chosen by our specialists from an array of offers based on their quality and value
- Please arrive at the meeting point 10 minutes before the tour starts
What is the SANDEMANs Partner Network?
Tours in Rome are offered by a partner, not SANDEMANs NEW Europe.
We only work with partners we know, trust, and who have been vetted by us to ensure they meet the same standards you are used to enjoying in SANDEMANs’ own cities.
We are proud to partner with New Rome Free Tour and are sure you’ll love their tours as much as we do.
Book a tour with one of our partners
- SANDEMANs only works with partners that meet the same quality standards than us
- Tours are chosen by our specialists from an array of offers based on their quality and value
- We connect the best local guides with travelers from all around the world