ABOUT THE Jewish Quarter Free Tour: World War II and Holocaust
This tour is offered by our partner Go Zeppelin Tours Budapest
This 2-hour Budapest Jewish Quarter Free Tour will change the way you look at this popular neighbourhood. What has become the party district of the city, was once the last Jewish ghetto built by the Nazis during World War II. The guides of Go Zeppelin Tours will take you on an emotional journey from the construction of the Dohány Street Synagogue (also known as the Great Synagogue) in the 19th century to the liberation of the city by the Soviet troops during the Battle of Budapest.
The Jewish Quarter Free Tour: World War II and Holocaust starts at Erzsébet tér, close to the Ferris Wheel of Budapest, and finishes at the Budapest Ghetto Memorial Wall
Learn about the Nazi occupation of Hungary and Budapest
On March 19th 1944, the Nazis entered Hungary and wrote one of the darkest pages in the history of the city and the country. With the guides of Go Zeppelin Tours you will discover the difficulties of the everyday life that was hidden behind the walls of the ghetto and you’ll learn about important figures such as Ángel Sanz Briz, known as “the angel of Budapest”, and how he managed to save the lives of thousands of Hungarian Jews from deportation to Auschwitz.
Your expert guide will take you on a roller coaster of emotions whilst you learn about the role of the Jewish community in the golden years of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and hear about one of the most controversial figures in Hungarian history: Miklós Horthy, an ally of Hitler's Nazi Germany.
This Free Tour of Budapest's Jewish Quarter is an essential tour to understand the most recent history of Budapest and Hungary.
Tours in Budapest are offered by our partners, Go Zeppelin Tours. While you may not see the trademark SANDEMANs red umbrellas (look instead for the Go Zeppelin Tours umbrellas), we only work with partners we know, trust, and who have been vetted by us to ensure they meet the same standards you are used to enjoying in SANDEMANs’ own cities. We are proud to partner with Go Zeppelin Tours and are sure you’ll love their tours as much as we do!Read more
The Jewish Quarter Free Tour: World War II and Holocaust starts at Erzsébet tér, close to the Ferris Wheel of Budapest
- Marvel at the Great Synagogue of Budapest, the second largest in the world, and find out why it houses a large cemetery at the back
- Learn about Raoul Wallenberg and how he faced the Nazis to save thousands of lives
- Hear about the important presence of the Jewish community in Budapest by discovering its three synagogues
- Hear the story of Ángel Sanz Briz, “the angel of Budapest”
- See the Budapest Ghetto Memorial Wall, the last remains of the original wall built by the Nazis
- Take this opportunity to visit one of the emblematic ruin bars in the neighbourhood after the tour
Go Zeppelin Tours is our vetted partner in Budapest - HungaryRead more
- Local English-speaking guide
- Gratuities for the guide (optional)
- This activity is operated by our partner Go Zeppelin Tours Budapest. This experience is not provided by SANDEMANs, but has been chosen by our specialists from an array of offers based on their quality and value
What is the SANDEMANs Partner Network?
Tours in Budapest are offered by a partner, not SANDEMANs NEW Europe.
We only work with partners we know, trust, and who have been vetted by us to ensure they meet the same standards you are used to enjoying in SANDEMANs’ own cities.
We are proud to partner with Go Zeppelin Tours Budapest and are sure you’ll love their tours as much as we do.
Book a tour with one of our partners
- SANDEMANs only works with partners that meet the same quality standards than us
- Tours are chosen by our specialists from an array of offers based on their quality and value
- We connect the best local guides with travelers from all around the world
WALKING TOURS & ACTIVITIES IN BUDAPEST
Free Tour of Budapest
Discover Budapest’s main attractions on this 2.5-hour free tour with Go Zeppelin Tours local guide ...
Buda Castle Free Tour
Visit one of Budapest's most iconic attractions on this free tour of the Buda Castle