ABOUT THE Free Tour of Budapest
This tour is offered by our partner Go Zeppelin Tours Budapest
During this 2.5-hour fee tour you’ll be taken on a journey through Budapest’s main history: from its founding by Árpád, the leader of the confederation of the Magyar tribes, to its most recent history with the fall of the communist regime. The Go Zeppelin Tours guides will take you to discover the exuberance of the 19th century and you’ll learn about Budapest’s golden years as one of the capitals of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and refuge to the most cinematographic empress of all time: Sisi. During this free tour you’ll also see some of Budapest’s main sights, such as the Parliament, St. Stephen's Basilica or the Széchenyi Chain Bridge, and you’ll learn about the role that Hungary played during World War II as an ally of Nazi Germany.
The Budapest Free Tour starts at Kossuth Lajos Square, in front of the Parliament, and finishes at the Great Synagogue.
A city of beauty...
As soon as you set foot in Budapest, you know you are in a city built to dazzle. Its golden years during the second half of the 19th century filled it with cafes, artists, boulevards and architecture worthy of an imperial capital. Not many cities have been declared a World Heritage Site for their urban landscape, but Budapest is "one of the most beautiful in the world", according to UNESCO. Your local guide will give you a complete overview of the history of the city, from its years of greatest splendor to its near destruction during the Second World War. You will discover why Budapest fell into oblivion for 40 years and how it has, once again, become one of the most vibrant and fascinating capitals in Europe.
But Budapest is not just a pretty postcard. Behind its striking architecture there is a city forged by struggles and revolutions. Your tour guide will take you on a journey through some of the most significant historical moments that changed European history. You will discover how Lajos Kossuth's revolution gave way to one of Europe’s most famous empires, or how a group of university students sparked the Hungarian Revolution of 1956. Budapest is undoubtedly a city that knows how to reinvent itself and that is awaiting to be rediscovered.
Tours in Budapest are offered by our partners, Go Zeppelin Tours. While you may not see the trademark SANDEMANs red umbrellas (look instead for the Go Zeppelin Tours umbrellas), we only work with partners we know, trust, and who have been vetted by us to ensure they meet the same standards you are used to enjoying in SANDEMANs’ own cities. We are proud to partner with Go Zeppelin Tours and are sure you’ll love their tours as much as we do!Read more
The Budapest Free Tour starts at Kossuth Lajos Square, in front of the Parliament
- Marvel at one of the most spectacular Parliaments in Europe and the second largest in the world
- Learn about Lajos Kossuth and his revolution of 1848
- See the monument to the victims of the Hungarian Revolution of 1956
- Visit Liberty Square and discover the role Hungary played during WWII
- Admire Széchenyi Chain Bridge, one of Budapest’s most iconic landmarks
- Take a selfie in front of St. Stephen's Basilica
- Discover a different side to Empress Sisi
- End the tour at the Great Synagogue
Go Zeppelin Tours is our vetted partner in Budapest - HungaryRead more
- Local English-speaking guide
- Gratuities for the guide (optional)
- This activity is operated by our partner Go Zeppelin Tours Budapest. This experience is not provided by SANDEMANs, but has been chosen by our specialists from an array of offers based on their quality and value
- Wheelchair accessible
What is the SANDEMANs Partner Network?
Tours in Budapest are offered by a partner, not SANDEMANs NEW Europe.
We only work with partners we know, trust, and who have been vetted by us to ensure they meet the same standards you are used to enjoying in SANDEMANs’ own cities.
We are proud to partner with Go Zeppelin Tours Budapest and are sure you’ll love their tours as much as we do.
Book a tour with one of our partners
- SANDEMANs only works with partners that meet the same quality standards than us
- Tours are chosen by our specialists from an array of offers based on their quality and value
- We connect the best local guides with travelers from all around the world
WALKING TOURS & ACTIVITIES IN BUDAPEST
Buda Castle Free Tour
Visit one of Budapest's most iconic attractions on this free tour of the Buda Castle
Jewish Quarter Free Tour: World War II and Holocaust
Explore the recent history of Budapest and Hungary on this free 2-hour free tour