ABOUT THE Free Tour of Split
This tour is operated by our partners, Free Spirit Tours.
The tour begins next to the fountain at Josip Juraj Strossmayer Park.
From there, this free tour follows the footsteps of Diocletian, a Roman emperor and fierce prosecutor of Christians. His palace, today a UNESCO World Heritage Site, holds historical sights, secrets, and stories that come to life on this tour. After the palace, we will see the Golden Gate that presents the entrapment system designed to defend the palace. The main street leads to the central square - Peristyle, where the emperor would greet his servants as a son of Jupiter. Jupiter's Temple is nearby but the emperor's mausoleum, today the cathedral, overshadows it in both size and design. We will enter the emperor's quarters through the impressive Vestibule. The cellars hold secrets from ancient through medieval all the way to modern times. We will also see the Town Hall and meet the author of the first book in the Croatian language.
The tour ends on the Riva waterfront.
Meet us next to the fountain at Josip Juraj Strossmayer Park. Look for the guide with an orange umbrella.
- Tick off the list all Split must-sees in 2-hour walk
- Explore the Diocletian's Palace - UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Learn what to eat, where to go for a swim, and how to spend the perfect holiday in Split and Croatia
- ... And much more
Free Spirit Tours is our vetted partner in NiceRead more
- Local English-speaking guide
- Gratuities for the guide (optional)
- This activity is operated by our partner Free Spirit Tours. This experience is not provided by SANDEMANs, but has been chosen by our specialists from an array of offers based on their quality and value
What is the SANDEMANs Partner Network?
Tours in Croatia are offered by a partner, not SANDEMANs NEW Europe.
We only work with partners we know, trust, and who have been vetted by us to ensure they meet the same standards you are used to enjoying in SANDEMANs’ own cities.
We are proud to partner with Free Spirit Tours and are sure you’ll love their tours as much as we do.
Book a tour with one of our partners
- SANDEMANs only works with partners that meet the same quality standards than us
- Tours are chosen by our specialists from an array of offers based on their quality and value
- We connect the best local guides with travelers from all around the world