ABOUT THE Free Tour of Málaga
This tour is operated by our partner Explora Málaga.
On this 1.5-hour free tour you’ll explore the centre of Málaga and discover the main sights of this gorgeous coastal city. Join your local, expert guide as they take you through the bright streets and share the stories and legends that are interwoven through the city’s history.
The Free Tour of Málaga starts at Plaza de la Constitución and ends near the Palacio de la Aduana.
2,800 years of Mediterranean history
With its history stretching back over 28 centuries, the streets of central Málaga have seen countless changes over time. The heart of the city, the Plaza de la Constitución, is no exception and continues to be the major site of celebration and public events in Málaga today. A stroll from here along the exclusive shopping street Calle Marqués de Larios takes you to Málaga’s beautiful and quirky cathedral, the Catedral de la Encarnación de Málaga. Started in 1528, the building has never been completed - earning it the affectionate nickname of “La Manquita”, or the One-Armed Woman. As old as the city itself, Málaga’s winemaking tradition is an integral part of the region and the Bodega El Pimpi is an absolute must-see of the city. Hear from your guide about why this iconic location is so much more than just a wine bar and what it means to the people of Málaga!
Romans and Moors
Discover the Málaga of the Reconquista era in the Calle San Agustin, now home to the famous Picasso museum, before heading back to ancient Roman times and marvelling at the Teatro Romano, buried for centuries until its rediscovery in 1951! Admire the imposing hilltop citadel of the Alcazaba, one of the many well-preserved examples of Muslim architecture in Andalusia. Connected to the Alcazaba and commanding views over the entire area is the fortress Castillo de Gibralfaro, perched impressively above the city and visible from all around.
Tours in Málaga are offered by our partners, Explora Málaga. While you may not see the trademark SANDEMANs red umbrellas (look instead for the Explora Málaga umbrellas), we only work with partners we know, trust, and who have been vetted by us to ensure they meet the same standards you are used to enjoying in SANDEMANs’ own cities. We are proud to partner with Explora Málaga and are sure you’ll love their tours as much as we do!Read more
The Free Tour of Málaga starts at Plaza de la Constitución
- Admire the historic square at the heart of the city, the Plaza de la Constitución
- Stroll along the pedestrianised Calle Marqués de Larios, Málaga’s most exclusive shopping street
- Find out how Málaga’s cathedral received its quirky nickname of “La Manquita” and admire its mixture of architectural styles
- Discover 16th century buildings in the Calle San Agustin and learn about Málaga’s most famous citizen at the Picasso Museum
- Hear about the iconic Bodega El Pimpi and its significance to the city, as well as some of its famous patrons!
- Marvel at the Teatro Romano and appreciate the genius of Roman architecture, as well as hearing about the 20th century rediscovery of this amazing site
- Take in the impressive Muslim citadel of the Alcazaba and admire the view of the Castillo de Gibralfaro atop its hill above the city
- Finish the tour near the brilliant Museo de Málaga, the city’s excellent museum to discover fine arts and archaeology
Explora Málaga is our vetted partner in Málaga - SpainRead more
- Local English-speaking guide
- Gratuities for the guide (optional)
- This activity is operated by our partner Explora Málaga. This experience is not provided by SANDEMANs, but has been chosen by our specialists from an array of offers based on their quality and value
- Wheelchair accessible
What is the SANDEMANs Partner Network?
Tours in Málaga are offered by a partner, not SANDEMANs NEW Europe.
We only work with partners we know, trust, and who have been vetted by us to ensure they meet the same standards you are used to enjoying in SANDEMANs’ own cities.
We are proud to partner with Málaga and are sure you’ll love their tours as much as we do.
Book a tour with one of our partners
- SANDEMANs only works with partners that meet the same quality standards than us
- Tours are chosen by our specialists from an array of offers based on their quality and value
- We connect the best local guides with travelers from all around the world
WALKING TOURS & ACTIVITIES IN MáLAGA
Free Tour of Málaga’s Alcazaba
Discover the fortresses that dominate Málaga’s skyline, the Alcazaba and Castillo de Gibralfaro, ...