ABOUT THE Free Tour of Málaga’s Alcazaba
This tour is operated by our partner Explore Málaga.
On this 1.5-hour free tour inside the Alcazaba you'll discover the two impressive Muslim fortresses that dominate Málaga’s skyline, the Alcazaba and the Castillo de Gibralfaro, and you'll learn about life in the city during the Middle Ages. Join your local, expert guide to delve into the fascinating history of medieval and Muslim Málaga and take in the stunning views from the hilltop fortifications.
The Alcazaba Free Tour starts at Plaza de la Aduana and ends at the Alcazaba.
With Muslim rule in southern Spain spanning over 8 centuries, Andalucía is dotted with reminders of the phenomenal cultural and architectural legacy of this incredible period. With your guide, explore the best-preserved alcazaba in Spain and hear about the significance of this type of citadel and its role in defending the city. Take in the views over the historic city centre and the Mediterranean Sea and understand the strategic importance of the hilltop location. Admire the beautiful examples of Islamic architecture and stroll through the peaceful courtyards with their arches and water features.
Siege and Capitulation
Connected to the Alcazaba and set further up the hill is the once-impregnable fortress Castillo de Gibralfaro. Together, the fortifications provided excellent protection to the prosperous city of Málaga, the most important seaport of the Emirate of Granada. The strategic importance of Málaga made it a target for the Spanish forces of the Reconquista, who laid siege to Málaga in May of 1487. Hear the incredible story of this dramatic 103-day siege and final capitulation of the Muslim forces and how this has shaped the Málaga we see today.
Tours in Málaga are offered by our partners, Explora Málaga. While you may not see the trademark SANDEMANs red umbrellas (look instead for the Explora Málaga umbrellas), we only work with partners we know, trust, and who have been vetted by us to ensure they meet the same standards you are used to enjoying in SANDEMANs’ own cities. We are proud to partner with Explora Málaga and are sure you’ll love their tours as much as we do!Read more
Meet your guide at Plaza de la Aduana, look out for the blue umbrella!
- Discover the brilliantly well-preserved citadel of the Alcazaba, the most important sight in Málaga
- Learn about the period of Muslim rule in Málaga and the influence it has had on the city
- Wander through the peaceful courtyards and gardens of the Alcazaba and admire the intricate carved arches and walkways
- See the castle on top of the hill, the Gibralfaro, and hear about how the fortifications together were impregnable
- Listen to the dramatic story of the 103-day siege of Málaga
- Take in the incredible views of the historic city centre, the port of Málaga and the glittering Mediterranean Sea
Explora Málaga is our vetted partner in Málaga - SpainRead more
- Local English-speaking guide
- Gratuities for the guide (optional)
- This activity is operated by our partner Explora Málaga. This experience is not provided by SANDEMANs, but has been chosen by our specialists from an array of offers based on their quality and value
What is the SANDEMANs Partner Network?
Tours in Málaga are offered by a partner, not SANDEMANs NEW Europe.
We only work with partners we know, trust, and who have been vetted by us to ensure they meet the same standards you are used to enjoying in SANDEMANs’ own cities.
We are proud to partner with Málaga and are sure you’ll love their tours as much as we do.
Book a tour with one of our partners
- SANDEMANs only works with partners that meet the same quality standards than us
- Tours are chosen by our specialists from an array of offers based on their quality and value
- We connect the best local guides with travelers from all around the world
WALKING TOURS & ACTIVITIES IN MáLAGA
Free Tour of Málaga
Discover Málaga's main attractions on this 1.5-hour free tour with Explora Málaga local guides