ABOUT THE Free Tour of Florence
This tour is operated by our partner Florence Free Tour-Tale.
On this 2-hour Free Tour you’ll immediately understand why the historic centre of Florence has been declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site for almost 40 years! Together with your experienced local guide, you’ll discover world-famous historical gems such as the “Duomo” - Florence’s incredible cathedral, the imposing Palazzo Vecchio and the delightful Ponte Vecchio, or “Old Bridge” - home to the merchants of Florence since the 15th Century. Hear the stories and unknown fun-facts behind these iconic sights as you wander the streets with a gelato in hand!
The Free Tour of Florence starts at the Piazza di San Lorenzo, next to the statue, and ends near the Uffizi Gallery and the Ponte Vecchio.
The Cradle of the Renaissance
It is no exaggeration to say that Florence’s influence on world culture and history is momentous. As the birthplace of the Renaissance, Florence was at the centre of the artistic and intellectual outpourings of the era and was home to masters such as Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci or Donatello. During this free tour of Florence you’ll explore the beautiful Ghiberti's 'doors of paradise', unveil Brunelleschi's dome secrets and admire the statues of Piazza Signoria, an open-air museum with astonishing original masterpieces such as the Perseus by Benvenuto Cellini and the Kidnapping of the Sabine Women by Giambologna.
The Medici Legacy
One of the most powerful dynasties of all time, the Medici family was the hugely influential driving force behind the flourishing of art and architecture in Renaissance Florence, a family that ranked dukes and popes amongst its political heavyweights, all while essentially bankrolling the Republic of Florence and pioneering modern bookkeeping - phew!! See the Palazzo Medici and dive into the intrigues of this fascinating family and learn about their lasting legacy on the modern world.
Tours in Florence are offered by our partners, Florence Free Tour-Tale. While you may not see the trademark SANDEMANs red umbrellas (look instead for the Florence Free Tour-Tale umbrellas), we only work with partners we know, trust, and who have been vetted by us to ensure they meet the same standards you are used to enjoying in SANDEMANs’ own cities. We are proud to partner with Florence Free Tour-Tale and are sure you’ll love their tours as much as we do!Read more
The Free Tour of Florence starts at the Piazza di San Lorenzo, next to the statue
- Marvel at the beauty of the Piazza del Duomo and the magnificent cathedral complex, including the cathedral itself with its elegant brick dome and the baptistery and bell tower with their matching pink, green and white marble facades
- Admire the Basilica of San Lorenzo, one of the oldest churches in Florence
- Discover the Palazzo Medici and learn about the incredible lasting influence of this powerful family
- Wander through the Dante neighbourhood and hear about Florence’s famous and influential Renaissance residents
- Get useful tips on how to avoid the tourist traps, choose the best gelato and experience Florence like a local
- Take in the atmosphere of the Piazza della Signoria with the impressive Palazzo Vecchio and full-sized replica of Michelangelo’s famous David statue
- Hear about the Uffizi Gallery, one of the world’s most important art museums, and the iconic works inside
- Finish the tour near the picturesque Ponte Vecchio with its galleries and arches spanning the River Arno
Florence Free Tour-Tale is our vetted partner in Florence - ItalyRead more
- Local English-speaking guide
- Gratuities for the guide (optional)
- This activity is operated by our partner Florence Free Tour-Tale. This experience is not provided by SANDEMANs, but has been chosen by our specialists from an array of offers based on their quality and value
- Wheelchair accessible
- Please arrive at the meeting point 10 minutes before the tour starts
What is the SANDEMANs Partner Network?
Tours in Florence are offered by a partner, not SANDEMANs NEW Europe.
We only work with partners we know, trust, and who have been vetted by us to ensure they meet the same standards you are used to enjoying in SANDEMANs’ own cities.
We are proud to partner with Florence Free Tour-Tale and are sure you’ll love their tours as much as we do.
Book a tour with one of our partners
- SANDEMANs only works with partners that meet the same quality standards than us
- Tours are chosen by our specialists from an array of offers based on their quality and value
- We connect the best local guides with travelers from all around the world
WALKING TOURS & ACTIVITIES IN FLORENCE
Florence Dark Side Free Tour: Mysteries & Legends
Uncover the darker side of Florence on this 1.5-hour free tour