ABOUT THE Mosque-Cathedral Guided Tour
This tour is operated by our partner Free Tour Cultural Córdoba.
On this 1.5-hour guided tour with a professional historian you’ll discover the fascinating Mosque-Cathedral of Córdoba, one of the most significant structures of the Al-Andalus Empire and an important place of Catholic worship in modern-day Spain. Delve into the detailed stories and secrets of the site’s 15-century-long history and marvel at the architectural beauty of this incredible structure.
The Mosque-Cathedral Guided Tour starts at the Door of Forgiveness (Puerta del Perdón) on Calle Cardenal Herrero.
The Jewel of Al-Andalus
Built on the site of the ancient Visigoth Basilica of San Vicente in 785 on the orders of Abd ar-Rahman I, when Córdoba was the capital of the Muslim empire of Al-Andalus, the original mosque was a primitive construction. Multiple subsequent extensions by Abd ar-Rahmen’s successors saw the Mezquita of Córdoba become more and more impressive, showcasing the wealth and beauty of medieval Islamic art. Hear in detail how each of these expansions of the building came about and admire the stunning, intricate beauty of each section of the former Great Mosque.
During the “Reconquista”, Córdoba fell to Christian forces and marked the fall of the Al-Andalus Empire on the Iberian Peninsula. The magnificent Great Mosque of Córdoba was converted to a Christian cathedral and underwent further transformations. Discover the soaring Gothic nave and main chapel, added in the 14th century, and hear the fascinating history of the conversion of this structure from one of the world’s religions to another.
Tours in Córdoba are offered by our partners, Free Tour Cultural Córdoba. While you may not see the trademark SANDEMANs red umbrellas at the meeting point, we only work with partners we know, trust, and who have been vetted by us to ensure they meet the same standards you are used to enjoying in SANDEMANs’ own cities. We are proud to partner with Free Tour Cultural Córdoba and are sure you’ll love their tours as much as we do!Read more
The Mosque-Cathedral Guided Tour starts at the Door of Forgiveness (Puerta del Perdón) on Calle Cardenal Herrero
- Hear in detail about the many extensions and phases in the construction of the Great Mosque
- Marvel at the intricate beauty of the countless carved arches, one of the most impressive examples of Islamic architecture in Spain
- Appreciate the incredible legacy of the Muslim Empire of Al-Andalus
- Learn about the conversion of the Great Mosque into a Christian cathedral, and the development into today’s Cathedral of Our Lady of the Assumption
- Enjoy detailed stories and secrets of this UNESCO World Heritage Site that you would never discover on your own!
Free Tour Cultural Córdoba is our vetted partner in Córdoba - SpainRead more
- Local English-speaking guide
- Entrance to the Mosque-Cathedral
- This activity is operated by our partner Free Tour Cultural Córdoba. This experience is not provided by us, but has been chosen by our specialists from an array of offers based on their quality and value, and have been tested thoroughly by them. In case of cancellations and refunds, Free Tour Cultural Córdoba's corresponding policy will apply
- Wheelchair accessible
- Please arrive at the meeting point 10 minutes before the tour starts
What is the SANDEMANs Partner Network?
Tours in Córdoba are offered by a partner, not SANDEMANs NEW Europe.
We only work with partners we know, trust, and who have been vetted by us to ensure they meet the same standards you are used to enjoying in SANDEMANs’ own cities.
We are proud to partner with Free Tour Cultural Córdoba and are sure you’ll love their tours as much as we do.
Book a tour with one of our partners
- SANDEMANs only works with partners that meet the same quality standards than us
- Tours are chosen by our specialists from an array of offers based on their quality and value
- We connect the best local guides with travelers from all around the world
WALKING TOURS & ACTIVITIES IN CORDOBA
Free Tour of Córdoba
Visit the historic centre of Córdoba with Free Tour Cultural Córdoba