ABOUT THE Albaicin and Sacromonte Free Tour
This tour is operated by our partner Walk in Granada.
On this 2.5-hour free tour you’ll explore the heart of two of Granada’s most delightful neighbourhoods, Albaicin and Sacromonte. Join your local, expert guide to discover the charming streets and fascinating character of these two diverse districts.
The Albaicin and Sacromonte Free Tour starts at Plaza Nueva and ends near the Cuesta del Chapiz.
Winding Streets and Whitewashed Houses
Situated on the hillside next to the world-famous Alhambra, the UNESCO World Heritage listed district of the Albaicin is one of the most iconic neighbourhoods in all of Spain. Stroll with your Free Tour guide through the narrow streets and discover the perfumed carmenes, garden courtyards overflowing with jasmine and orange blossom, as you learn about the Jewish and Muslim history of one of the oldest parts of Granada. Hear about the aljibes, mediaeval wells that are dotted throughout the quarter, as you head towards the Mirador de San Nicolas, with its sweeping views of the magnificent Alhambra set against the peaks of the Sierra Nevada - an unmissable stop for every visitor to Granada!
Caves and Flamenco
From Albaicin, your Free Tour guide will take you to discover the unique Sacromonte district, set in the Valparaíso valley and hills. Learn about the fascinating cave dwellings and the legends that surround their history and hear about Granada’s famous flamenco style, the gitano zambra, an essential part of the longstanding Roma culture in Andalucia. Soak up the atmosphere of this amazing area, where the iconic caves become flamenco stages and the sounds of guitars fill the evening air.
Tours in Granada are offered by our partners, Walk in Granada. While you may not see the trademark SANDEMANs red umbrellas (look instead for the Walk in Granada umbrellas), we only work with partners we know, trust, and who have been vetted by us to ensure they meet the same standards you are used to enjoying in SANDEMANs’ own cities. We are proud to partner with Walk in Granada and are sure you’ll love their tours as much as we do!Read more
Meet your guide next to the fountain at Plaza Nueva, look out for the red umbrella!
- Wander through the cobbled streets of the Albaicín and breathe in the perfumed air from the jasmine and orange blossom filled carmenes
- Take in the beautifully preserved Hispanic-Muslim architecture dating back to the 11th Century
- Grab the perfect photo opportunity at the Mirador de San Nicolas and admire the breathtaking view over the mighty Alhambra and the Sierra Nevada mountains
- Hear about the aljibes, the mediaeval cisterns that provided water to the neighbourhood
- Visit the fascinating Sacromonte district and marvel at the hundreds of cave dwellings set in the hillside
- Learn about the history of flamenco in Spain and the influence of Roma culture, and hear about the zambra of Granada
- Enjoy the special atmosphere of two of Granada’s most romantic quarters
Walk in Granada is our vetted partner in Granada - SpainRead more
- Local English-speaking guide
- Gratuities for the guide (optional)
- This activity is operated by our partner Walk in Granada. This experience is not provided by SANDEMANs, but has been chosen by our specialists from an array of offers based on their quality and value
What is the SANDEMANs Partner Network?
Tours in Granada are offered by a partner, not SANDEMANs NEW Europe.
We only work with partners we know, trust, and who have been vetted by us to ensure they meet the same standards you are used to enjoying in SANDEMANs’ own cities.
We are proud to partner with Walk in Granada and are sure you’ll love their tours as much as we do.
Book a tour with one of our partners
- SANDEMANs only works with partners that meet the same quality standards than us
- Tours are chosen by our specialists from an array of offers based on their quality and value
- We connect the best local guides with travelers from all around the world
WALKING TOURS & ACTIVITIES IN GRANADA
Essential Free Tour of Granada
Discover Granada's main attractions on this free tour with Walk In Granada local guides