ABOUT THE Dublin Dark Side Tour
Join us on this 2.5-hour walking tour as we make our way through church graveyards and down narrow back alleys to discover the side of Dublin that you won't find on any postcards. This night tour of Dublin will tell you gruesome stories of brothels run by serial killers, cannibals with a taste for young children, and the notorious Hellfire Club, said to be made up of Devil worshippers, whose club house allegedly received visits from Satan himself.
Your Dublin Dark Side Tour starts at Joy of Cha in Temple Bar and usually finishes in Smithfield Square.
Learn about the Irish folklore
Fairies, leprechauns, banshees and rainbows - there is an endless supply of folklore in Ireland. While most of them are whimsical, you will discover the darker tales on this tour. Halloween originated from the Gaelic harvest festival of Samhain. This changing of season was believed to be a time when beings from the spiritual world could more easily cross over into our dimension. With stories like that, it's no wonder that the most famous gothic novel Dracula was written by an Irish writer!
Discover the ghosts of Dublin’s buildings
While you marvel at the stunning architecture of Dublin, be aware that you might not be the only one in the ancient buildings… The Dublin Castle is said to be haunted with the souls of beheaded invaders. A young boy named Charlie Parker strolls around the Olympia Theatre – the staff say he is friendly though!Read more
The Dublin Dark Side Tour starts at Joy of Chá, 10 Essex St E, Temple Bar
- Visit the Dublin Castle where heads of enemies were mounted along the walls
- Learn about the haunted dog that seeks its master at St Patrick's Cathedral
- Listen to the tale of serial killer and brothel owner Darkey Kelly
- Meet the friendly ghosts of Olympia Theatre
- Hear about the debauchery and occult practices of the notorious Hellfire Club
- Discover the influences of Dracula's author, Bram Stoker
- Learn about the Irish legends of Halloween
This tour doesn‘t run today
- Local English-speaking guide
- Wheelchair accessible
- This tour contains content that may not be suitable for younger guests
- Our business is connecting great guides and smart travelers, and we're proud that so many local guides employ us to welcome travelers like you on their journey through some of the world's best cities. No two tours are alike, and the sites, stories, and length of the tour will vary depending on what your freelance guide decides is best. That's why the tours we promote never get stale or feel scripted, and why both independent guides and savvy travelers prefer SANDEMANs
What is a Select Tour?
Select Tours focus on a particular area or district of a city, a certain aspect of its history or culture, or take you outside the city on a day trip. Select Tours are perfect for those who have enjoyed an introduction to the city and wish to delve deeper into the stories the city has to offer. These tours often venture further afield and make use of local public transport.
As with the Free Tour, Select Tours are provided by local freelance guides in partnership with SANDEMANs NEW Europe, who bring their personal flair and expert knowledge to these specifically themed tours. Select tours have a fixed ticket price - we recommend purchasing your ticket in advance, either during a Free Tour or online.
Delve deeper with themed select tours
- Expert local guides
- Theme specific tours
- Location specific tours
- Full-day and half-day tours on offer
- Affordable prices
WALKING TOURS & ACTIVITIES IN DUBLIN
Participation in tours promoted by SANDEMANs NEW Europe is strictly on a voluntary basis. Neither SANDEMANs NEW Europe, nor the self-employed freelance guides who are the providers of the tours promoted by SANDEMANs NEW Europe, will be held responsible in any way for injuries to body or property incurred during tours. The tour guides reserve the right to deny participation in any tour, to any person, for any reason. Thank you for your understanding.