ABOUT THE Dublin Dark Side Free Walking Tour
Join us on this 2.5-hour walking tour as we make our way through church graveyards and down narrow back alleys to discover the side of Dublin that you won't find on any postcards. This night tour of Dublin will tell you gruesome stories of brothels run by serial killers, cannibals with a taste for young children, and the notorious Hellfire Club, said to be made up of Devil worshippers, whose club house allegedly received visits from Satan himself.
Your Dublin Dark Side Tour starts at Barnardo Square next to City Hall and usually finishes in Smithfield Square. We never cancel; tours run rain, hail or shine.
Learn about the Irish folklore
Fairies, leprechauns, banshees and rainbows - there is an endless supply of folklore in Ireland. While most of them are whimsical, you will discover the darker tales on this tour. Halloween originated from the Gaelic harvest festival of Samhain. This changing of season was believed to be a time when beings from the spiritual world could more easily cross over into our dimension. With stories like that, it's no wonder that the most famous gothic novel Dracula was written by an Irish writer!
Discover the ghosts of Dublin’s buildings
While you marvel at the stunning architecture of Dublin, be aware that you might not be the only one in the ancient buildings… The Dublin Castle is said to be haunted with the souls of beheaded invaders. A young boy named Charlie Parker strolls around the Olympia Theatre – the staff say he is friendly though!
Free Tour concept
The tips-based model of the Free Tour allows guests to support and reward only the highest quality tours, and to ensure that the tour fits within their expectations, and within their budget.Read more
The Dublin Dark Side Tour starts at Barnardo Square next to City Hall
- Visit the Dublin Castle where heads of enemies were mounted along the walls
- Learn about the haunted dog that seeks its master at St Patrick's Cathedral
- Listen to the tale of serial killer and brothel owner Darkey Kelly
- Meet the friendly ghosts of Olympia Theatre
- Hear about the debauchery and occult practices of the notorious Hellfire Club
- Discover the influences of Dracula's author, Bram Stoker
- Learn about the Irish legends of Halloween
This tour doesn‘t run today
- Local English-speaking guide
- Gratuities for the guide (optional)
- Wheelchair accessible
- This tour contains content that may not be suitable for younger guests
- Our business is connecting great guides and smart travelers, and we're proud that so many local guides employ us to welcome travelers like you on their journey through some of the world's best cities. No two tours are alike, and the sites, stories, and length of the tour will vary depending on what your freelance guide decides is best. That's why the tours we promote never get stale or feel scripted, and why both independent guides and savvy travelers prefer SANDEMANs
What is a Free Tour?
The Free Tour is the best introduction to Dublin! A general overview tour including many of the highlights of the city, the Free Tour usually lasts around 3 hours and is provided by a local freelance guide in partnership with SANDEMANs NEW Europe, so tour content can vary depending on your guide’s particular area of interest and expertise.
The Free Tour is a walking tour with no need for public transport and is designed for independent travellers, not groups. You can book your spot in advance online or simply show up at the start point on the day. There is no payment necessary at the start of the tour but you are welcome to tip your guide at the end!
We believe in supporting local communities and are committed to giving a voice to some of Dublin's best local freelance tour guides, who passionately share the city's history and culture with their own unique and always-entertaining style. They'll never pressure you to tip; we believe that, if money is given, it should be voluntary and in direct proportion to the quality of the tour and the budget of the traveller.
Why join the SANDEMANs FREE Tour?
- Expert local guides
- Theme specific tours
- The Free Tour is guaranteed to fit within your budget
- The guides performing tips-based Free Tours are incentivized to perform every time
WALKING TOURS & ACTIVITIES IN DUBLIN
- Filter by
- Free Tour
- Select Tour
- Pub Crawl
- Private Tour
Tell us the landmarks, stories or parts of the city you want to see, how long you have to see them and when you want to go, and we’ll build an itinerary that suits you.Get in touch!
Participation in tours promoted by SANDEMANs NEW Europe is strictly on a voluntary basis. Neither SANDEMANs NEW Europe, nor the self-employed freelance guides who are the providers of the tours promoted by SANDEMANs NEW Europe, will be held responsible in any way for injuries to body or property incurred during tours. The tour guides reserve the right to deny participation in any tour, to any person, for any reason. Thank you for your understanding.