ABOUT THE Day Trip to Howth
You don't need to spend the day sitting on a bus to see the authentic, rural Ireland! Howth is an ancient fishing village just outside of Dublin, surrounded by nature and steeped in legends. From pre-history to modern times, the wild rocky peninsula has seen some of the most crucial events and bloody battles that have shaped Irish history. To top it off, enjoy incredible views of Dublin, Wales and Northern Ireland (weather permitting — this is Ireland!).
Your 6-hour Howth Day Tour starts at Barnardo Square next to City Hall in Dublin and you may return to Dublin city center with the guide after the tour or stay in Howth at your leisure. Join us as we leave the big city behind and, as the old slogan put it best, visit ‘the Hill of Howth for health and heather’.
Vikings, pirates and the footprints of a King
Although it’s just a short train ride away from Dublin, you’ll find yourself lost in time, in a village of mysterious Neolithic standing stones, scattered on the outcrops among medieval ruins, lonely lighthouses and 18th-century coastal defenses.
As with the rest of Ireland, the Vikings settled and traces of their time there can still be found today. An example of this will be the Norse tomb of Aideen that has been there for over 5,000 years. The reign of the English is also forever imprinted into the floor of the West Pier, with the footprints from the first time King George IV landed on Irish soil.
As well as the tomb and the pier, you'll also visit the Howth Castle, and hear the story of why it has welcomed all visitors since the 1500s.
Beautiful Howth cliffs, nature and fresh fish
The relics of past invaders are set against the backdrop of dramatic scenery and wildlife. We regularly spot guillemots, seals and more on our spectacular clifftop walk, so make sure you stay sharp and look up!
We spend six hours in this beautiful setting so you have time to fully appreciate this fascinating place and get the best out of the trip. We also venture into the wild Rhododendron gardens and look at some of the local flowers and plants.
Unsurprisingly, Howth has amazing fresh fish and seafood available, and some of the best real Irish pubs you’ll ever find.Read more
The Day Trip to Howth starts at Barnardo Square next to City Hall
- See King George IV’s first footprints on Irish soil
- Spot the seabirds that nest on Ireland’s Eye
- Explore the grounds of the Howth Castle
- Relax in the hidden and scenic Rhododendron gardens
- Learn about the ever-expanding Bull Island
- Look for the top of Sugar Loaf mountain
- Climb the hills of Ben of Howth
- Visit the Baily Lighthouse
- Listen to the tale of the heartache at Aideen's tomb
- See the childhood home of W.B. Yeats
- Discover the Martello Tower, built to keep an eye out for Napoleon’s invading ships
This tour doesn‘t run today
- Return train tickets
- Local English-speaking guide
- Food and drinks (on purchase)
- Children under 13 accompanied by an adult are welcome on this tour for free. You will need to purchase a train ticket for them on the day
- The tour covers approximately 6 miles of walking over a 3-5 hour period, occasionally off path and ascending/descending steep gradients. Please ensure that you are wearing suitable footwear (ie. no heels or flip flops) and that you have a suitable level of fitness for this type of activity
- Unfortunately this tour is not recommended for pushchairs, for those in wheelchairs or for those less able to walk unassisted
- The tour ends in Howth Village around 3pm, very close to the train station. Guests have open return train tickets and can return to Dublin city center with the guide or stay in Howth at their leisure
- Please note that, for safety reasons, this tour might be cancelled due to bad weather conditions. In case of cancellation, we’ll reschedule your tour or issue a full refund. Thanks for your understanding
- Our business is connecting great guides and smart travelers, and we're proud that so many local guides employ us to welcome travelers like you on their journey through some of the world's best cities. No two tours are alike, and the sites, stories, and length of the tour will vary depending on what your freelance guide decides is best. That's why the tours we promote never get stale or feel scripted, and why both independent guides and savvy travelers prefer SANDEMANs
After the Free Tour, we were recommended to try out the Howth tour today, which is 26 euro (train tickets included; but trust me it’s worth EVERY penny!) for a 7-hour guided tour to Howth, a town that is about 30 minutes away from the city of Dublin. Our tour guide was Stephen, and we are so glad we did this tour instead of exploring Howth on our own (we would have gotten so lost as trails were NOT marked). Not only was Stephen informative, he was also very attentive the whole time. This tour involves a bit of a hike (but very doable, just make sure you wear comfortable shoes) and he made sure all along the way that we were doing okay. He is so friendly and kind; my fiancé and I feel like we just made a new friend!
We think Dublin is amazing, but these tours have definitely made our time here exponentially better! We wholeheartedly recommend anyone visiting to Dublin to join these tours!See more reviews
Amazing Howth tour!
I went on the Howth tour today and it was beautiful! There were only two of us and our guide Conor. It is a lot of walking, steep stairs and rocky ground but the view from the top was worth it! Conor was funny and informative, he kept the conversation going and had personal stories to add to the history of Howth which made the tour more interesting because it wasn't just fact after fact. I would recommend this tour to anyone in Dublin! Thanks for a great day Conor!See more reviews
We did the Howth Tour with John! He's the perfect guide as he literally knows everything about the history of the region and can tell so many interesting stories! He brought us to the most beautiful spots on the peninsula and made the trip an unforgettable experience for us!See more reviews
History, comedy, and landscape
Did the Howth tour with Stephen, and boy was it an amazing day! Not only does Stephen enlighten you on all of the Irish history you walk through, he also throws in some of his creative side to expose you to his acting and poetry skills. Makes for an unforgettable experience. Very cool guy, and a hardworking one at that. Thanks Stephen for an amazing day in Howth. See you next time, waiting for you in Bucharest.See more reviews
We took the free tour with Stephen and it was great so we decide to make the Howth tour with him the next day. It was absolutely awesome. The group and Stephen was great. I really enjoyed the whole day. Stephen,I still owe you a bottle of tap water for the two dolphins we saw!See more reviews
What is a Select Tour?
Select Tours focus on a particular area or district of a city, a certain aspect of its history or culture, or take you outside the city on a day trip. Select Tours are perfect for those who have enjoyed an introduction to the city and wish to delve deeper into the stories the city has to offer. These tours often venture further afield and make use of local public transport.
As with the Free Tour, Select Tours are provided by local freelance guides in partnership with SANDEMANs NEW Europe, who bring their personal flair and expert knowledge to these specifically themed tours. Select tours have a fixed ticket price - we recommend purchasing your ticket in advance, either during a Free Tour or online.
Delve deeper with themed select tours
- Expert local guides
- Theme specific tours
- Location specific tours
- Full-day and half-day tours on offer
- Affordable prices
WALKING TOURS & ACTIVITIES IN DUBLIN
- Filter by
- Free Tour
- Select Tour
- Pub Crawl
- Private Tour
Dublin Pub Crawl
Have a great night out in some of Dublin's best bars and clubs!
Tell us the landmarks, stories or parts of the city you want to see, how long you have to see them and when you want to go, and we’ll build an itinerary that suits you.Get in touch!
Dublin Pub Crawl
Have a great night out in some of Dublin's best bars and clubs!
Participation in tours promoted by SANDEMANs NEW Europe is strictly on a voluntary basis. Neither SANDEMANs NEW Europe, nor the self-employed freelance guides who are the providers of the tours promoted by SANDEMANs NEW Europe, will be held responsible in any way for injuries to body or property incurred during tours. The tour guides reserve the right to deny participation in any tour, to any person, for any reason. Thank you for your understanding.