ABOUT THE International Women’s Day Tour of Porto
From artists to merchants to professors, there is no doubt that women have transformed Portugal into the country it is today. Join us as we explore some of the memorials, locations and statues around Porto that commemorate these great women.
Our special International Women’s Day Tour celebrates the female heroes who have shaped our history!
Learn about Filipa of Lancaster whose marriage established a pact of mutual support between Portugal and England in 1386. Toast to Antônia Ferreira, a pioneer in the port wine industry and her wine cellar is still one of the most famous in the world. Be inspired by suffragist Carolina Michaelis who became the first woman professor in Romance studies and German studies and fought women's education.Read more
The International Women's Day Tour of Porto starts at the statue of Bishop António Ferreira Gomes, opposite the Clérigos Tower
- See the University of Porto and learn about the intelligent women who fought for better education
- Learn about the strategic marriage of Filipa of Lancaster and Joao I
- Discover that one of the great pioneers of the port wine making was the formidable Antônia Ferreira
- Listen to the life story of artist Dame Paula Rego
- Understand the development of the legal rights of women at the municipal chamber of Porto
This tour doesn‘t run today
- Local English-speaking guide
- Our business is connecting great guides and smart travelers, and we're proud that so many local guides employ us to welcome travelers like you on their journey through some of the world's best cities. No two tours are alike, and the sites, stories, and length of the tour will vary depending on what your freelance guide decides is best. That's why the tours we promote never get stale or feel scripted, and why both independent guides and savvy travelers prefer SANDEMANs
- Unfortunately, this tour is not recommended for wheelchairs but the guides will do their best to adapt the route
What is a Select Tour?
Select Tours focus on a particular area or district of a city, a certain aspect of its history or culture, or take you outside the city on a day trip. Select Tours are perfect for those who have enjoyed an introduction to the city and wish to delve deeper into the stories the city has to offer. These tours often venture further afield and make use of local public transport.
As with the Free Tour, Select Tours are provided by local freelance guides in partnership with SANDEMANs NEW Europe, who bring their personal flair and expert knowledge to these specifically themed tours. Select tours have a fixed ticket price - we recommend purchasing your ticket in advance, either during a Free Tour or online.
Spend International Women's Day in Porto
- Join our special International Women's Day themed tour
- Learn about female heroes with expert guides
- Discover memorials, locations & statues
WALKING TOURS & ACTIVITIES IN PORTO
- Filter by
- Free Tour
- Select Tour
Porto Wine Tasting Tour
Experience Porto's famous Port wine on this delicious 2.5-hour tour
Ribeira Walking Tour
The scenic walking tour that explores Porto's neighbourhoods along the Douro riverbanks
Participation in tours promoted by SANDEMANs NEW Europe is strictly on a voluntary basis. Neither SANDEMANs NEW Europe, nor the self-employed freelance guides who are the providers of the tours promoted by SANDEMANs NEW Europe, will be held responsible in any way for injuries to body or property incurred during tours. The tour guides reserve the right to deny participation in any tour, to any person, for any reason. Thank you for your understanding.