ABOUT THE Free Tour of Milan
This tour is operated by our partner Citywalkers.
On this 3-hour free walking tour your local, certified guide will take you through the heart of stunning Milan. Experience the Milanese atmosphere and must-see attractions through the eyes of a local, as well as exploring lesser-known points of interest off the beaten track! Journey in time through Milan’s history, from Roman times through the Middle Ages to today.
The Free Tour of Milan starts at the Piazza Duomo, in front of the Museo del Novecento and finishes on Piazza Affari.
The Milanese Success Story
Milan’s prosperity and stunning facades belie its humble beginnings as a small Celtic village dating back to the 6th century BC. From admiring the incredible gothic architecture of the enormous (and enormously impressive) Duomo, Milan’s famous cathedral, follow your guide through the beautiful belle époque arcades of the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II to the Teatro alla Scala, one of the most prestigious opera houses in the world, where Verdi and Puccini premiered some of their most famous works. Journey with your guide through Milan’s Napoleonic years and hear about its role in the Risorgimento and the upheavals of the 20th century, leading to its current status as the financial centre of Italy.
Milan’s catwalks are world-famous and its fashion designers are household names around the globe, but the city is a style icon in more ways than one! Wander through the city centre with your guide and discover centuries of magnificent design, with buildings showcasing styles from the gothic to the art deco to the futuristic. Milan’s skyline is a playground for the world’s top architects and will be admired by design aficionados and amateurs alike!
Tours in Milan are offered by our partners, Citywalkers. While you may not see the trademark SANDEMANs red umbrellas (look instead for the Citywalkers yellow umbrellas), we only work with partners we know, trust, and who have been vetted by us to ensure they meet the same standards you are used to enjoying in SANDEMANs’ own cities. We are proud to partner with Citywalkers and are sure you’ll love their tours as much as we do!Read more
The Free Tour of Milan starts at the Piazza Duomo, in front of the Museo del Novecento
- Admire the Duomo Cathedral with its intricate facade and countless spires and statues. Learn its secrets and legends including the symbol of Milan: the golden 'Madonnina'
- Learn about Statale University as the first modern hospital in Europe
- Take in the atmosphere of the fashion capital of Italy in the Vittorio Emanuele II Gallery, the amazing 19th-century shopping mall
- Hear about the Teatro alla Scala, the most important Opera House in Italy and one of the most prestigious in the world
- Stroll through history in Mercanti Square, site of the city’s mediaeval market
- Finish the tour in Affari Square, the site of the Milan Stock Exchange and hear about the irreverent Cattelan's finger!
Citywalkers is our vetted partner in Milan and Naples - ItalyRead more
- Local English-speaking guide
- Gratuities for the guide (optional)
- This activity is operated by our partner Citywalkers. This experience is not provided by SANDEMANs, but has been chosen by our specialists from an array of offers based on their quality and value
- Wheelchair accessible
What is the SANDEMANs Partner Network?
Tours in Milan are offered by a partner, not SANDEMANs NEW Europe.
We only work with partners we know, trust, and who have been vetted by us to ensure they meet the same standards you are used to enjoying in SANDEMANs’ own cities.
We are proud to partner with Milan and are sure you’ll love their tours as much as we do.
Book a tour with one of our partners
- SANDEMANs only works with partners that meet the same quality standards than us
- Tours are chosen by our specialists from an array of offers based on their quality and value
- We connect the best local guides with travelers from all around the world