ABOUT THE Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial Tour
On this 5-hour Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial Tour you'll discover the Nazi’s first permanent concentration camp, and will learn about the prisoners they held and murdered there. Explore what has become one of the most important centers of remembrance, contemplation, and learning in Germany today with a memorial-accredited local guide.
Your Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial Tour starts at Munich Central Station (München Hauptbahnhof), and it finishes back in München Hauptbahnhof.
The first permanent Nazi concentration camp
From the day the Nazis came to power in 1933, they began rounding up their opponents and putting them into makeshift prisons. Only weeks after Hitler was sworn in as the German Chancellor, Heinrich Himmler ordered the opening of the first permanent concentration camp – Dachau. On this five-hour day trip from Munich, you will learn about those first 5,000 prisoners (the Nazi’s political enemies), as well as the more than 200,000 prisoners who would be held there over the next 12 years.
The daily lives of the prisoners in the Dachau concentration camp
Your expert licensed guide will take you through the concentration camp memorial, telling you about the prisoners’ daily lives. From the brutal treatment on arrival, to the Nazi categorization of their prisoners, you will see remaining buildings such as the administration building, barracks where the prisoners’ slept, the former SS training camp, and the roll call square (Appellplatz) where prisoners could stand to attention for hours, in all weather conditions. You will hear about some of the inhumane work details the Dachau prisoners were forced to carry out, and the horrific punishments they could be handed for even the slightest infringements.
Remembering Dachau today
While Dachau concentration camp was liberated by American forces in 1945, the site was not memorialized until the 1960s, and although 32,000 deaths were registered at the camp, many prisoners’ deaths were not recorded. Today, your guide will show you the Memorial of the Unknown Prisoner, as well as taking you to see the various religious memorials around the site, and the stunning prisoner monument designed by Nandor Gild.Read more
The Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial Tour starts at Munich Central Station (München Hauptbahnhof)
- Learn about the Nazi concentration camp system
- Hear about the lives of the prisoners and see where they slept, worked and were punished
- Remember the prisoners at the Nandor Gild monument and the Memorial to the Unknown Prisoner
- See where the daily roll call took place on Appellplatz
- Learn about the prisoners’ arrival at the camp and the Nazi categorisation system
Todo Tours is our vetted partner in MunichRead more
- Local Licensed English-speaking guide
- Round trip train ticket: 9€ per person or 18€ for groups of 2 to 5 people.
- With the advise of Dachau Memorial Site, you must be over 14 years old to join this tour
- A minimum of 4 people is required to guarantee the departure. This quota is almost always reached. If this is not the case, we will contact you to offer you an alternative.
- Wheelchair accessible
- Our business is connecting great guides and smart travelers, and we're proud that so many local guides employ us to welcome travelers like you on their journey through some of the world's best cities. No two tours are alike, and the sites, stories, and length of the tour will vary depending on what your freelance guide decides is best. That's why the tours we promote never get stale or feel scripted, and why both independent guides and savvy travelers prefer SANDEMANs
- You can cancel free of charge within 24 hours of the start of the activity and we will reimburse 100% of the amount paid. If you cancel with less than 24 hours, arrive late or do not show up, no refund will be made.
Thought provoking visit
After completing a free walking tour with this company we booked for the Dachau tour. The tour was really professional and very informative. I didn’t feel rushed and felt the content of the tour was appropriately respectful. I went with friends who were uncertain about going. We all agreed that we were glad we went. I would recommend this company.See more reviews
We took the Dachau tour with our tour guide Mat. He was very knowledgeable about the history of the concentration camp and did a great job at keeping the group moving through the tour.See more reviews
Dachau Tour with Tom
Our tour to Dachau was made a memorable experience by being led by Tom. His knowledge and structure of his tour was excellent and well delivered. He was sensitive whilst adding the odd bit of humour aimed at his audience, which helped to lighten the visit whilst retaining the sensitivity and respect that we all felt.See more reviews
Dachau tour with Tom
Great tour, very informative and Tom was a great guide didn’t over complicate things and really took the time to get to know everyone on the tour and answer any questions as best he could. Overall a very good day.See more reviews
Engaging & informative tours
I recently went on a free walking tour, beer tour and Dachau concentration camp tour with Sandemans New Europe in Munich. Strongly recommend the Dachau tour - our guide Lisa was fantastic, very knowledgable and informative - one of the best tours I've ever done with Sandemans.See more reviews
Very informative and well-organised
Hein was a fantastic guide. I don’t normally do many organised tours, and Dachau is fairly easy to get to, but I feel I learnt so much more than if I had gone on my own. Although we didn’t see absolutely everything I feel we got really good detail and packed a lot into the three hours or so we were there. Hein was also good at organising us all and keeping us on track.See more reviews
What is a Select Tour?
Select Tours focus on a particular area or district of a city, a certain aspect of its history or culture, or take you outside the city on a day trip. Select Tours are perfect for those who have enjoyed an introduction to the city and wish to delve deeper into the stories the city has to offer. These tours often venture further afield and make use of local public transport.
As with the Free Tour, Select Tours are provided by local freelance guides in partnership with SANDEMANs NEW Europe, who bring their personal flair and expert knowledge to these specifically themed tours. Select tours have a fixed ticket price - we recommend purchasing your ticket in advance, either during a Free Tour or online.
Discover Dachau with SANDEMANs
- Expert local guides
- Theme specific tours
- Location specific tours
- Full-day and half-day tours on offer
- Affordable prices